Wednesday, October 20, 2010

SCRIPPS DAY

I walked out of class today thinking "Wow Reisner really nailed Steve with that Orthodox Jew question" I felt self satisfaction because it was a question that I had never really thought about before and had Mr. Wasserman saying "uhhh, well" a lot. When thinking about diversity and the workforce, I forgot that religion is also diverse( as if it weren't obvious). I never thought about religion as being a factor in a work environment. Steve kept mentioning  how the news rooms have to be diversified. When he was saying that I wasn't thinking about religion being one of the factors UNTIL Reisner raised the question. How do work places work around religion? I really wanted to know the answer to Mr. Reisners question. IF both candidates are equally qualified for the position and the only difference between the two candidates is personal beliefs then how does he choose which candidate he will pick and why? Can there be diverse religion in the field of journalism? What I mean is, If Christmas is recognized by all as a holiday and most places close on these days, does the same apply to an Orthodox Jew who celebrates hanukkah? Would your employer recognize that as a Holiday and give you the day off? I'm intrigued to ask a Human Resource hiring manager. It just really makes you think of how christian religion dominates.

1 comment: