Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An Experiment I did..


I was in Orlando over the weekend and I was wearing a shaw (looks like a hijab) and I decided I would place it over my head to cover my hair the way muslims do. I wanted to see how people would look at me. To see if they would treat me any different. I went to cracker barrel with a group of 10 friends wearing my shaw. They sat me and my group in different tables.  I could feel everyones eyes on me. A few people pointed. Usually when you sit at a restaurant you get bread and drinks first. They didn't bring it till 20 mins later. When they brought bread, they didn't bring us plates. When we asked for it the waitress shrugged her shoulders and said "oh i'm sorry.  i don't know what to tell ya" and walked away. The party that came with us who sat in another table ate and got there check before we even got our food. Considering both tables set our orders at the same time. We got our food an hour and a half later. WE ended up complaining to the manager and got our food on the house. The place didn't seem busy so I don't believe it was because of that. I don't even know if it was because of what I was wearing. Point is, I felt uncomfortable and unwanted. 

I did this as an experiment just to see how others around me would react and treat me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment