Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"'Those people' cant tell you apart, either" opinion

My first impression of the first article was "who can't tell me apart?" Before I read on I thought about it for a second. Then I started to think about the other day at the nail salon. I've been going to this nail salon for about a year. I'm not a loyal customer cause I visit other nail salons in the city. All these salons have one thing in common: it's owned my asians, chinese, vietnamese. I really can't tell them apart. They're language sound the same to me. Their eyes are slanted. They have dark hair and fare skin. These articles made me think about something I never really thought of before.  It made me realize, that they too can't tell me apart from the rest of my 'kind'. It's called cross-race-effect.
I felt a little offended. I really dislike people automatically assuming that I am Hispanic. I don't like racial profiling. A pet peeve of mine is people talking to me in spanish when I ask something in English. It may sound silly but it annoys me. I feel like I am a part of that hispanic stereotype. Hispanics maybe exotic, sexy and known for their curves but they don't have the best reputation. At least cubans don't. They're known for their ignorance, vulgar language, their loud tones and the list goes on. Needless to say that I know some of this is true. I've at least experienced one of these. I don't want to be assimilated to these 'kind' of people. As a matter of fact when in high school I spoke the least I had to in spanish. I didn't want to be a part of what we called 'reffy group'.  I was young and immature and in high school status mattered. It was about who you were friends with.
These articles are an eye opener. If you really think about it at some point you've said to yourself 'they all look the same to me'. I've done it numerous times about all the races that aren't of my own. I couldn't tell an Arab from a Pakistani or a guatemalan from a honduran. No offense. I don't expect someone to think I'm cuban or what ever you think I am. I don't really think this will ever change because it's what sets us apart from our neighbors. Cubans are proud to be cubans, americans are proud to be americans. We grow up with pride of our nationalities (most of us). Personally, I don't have an array of friends from suppose 10 nationalities. The people i'm usually around are friends and family. All from different nationalities. But they're hispanic and mulato. I've known them for years, I'm comfortable with them and I'm lazy when it comes to making new friends. It's hard for me to trust anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment